Enhanced Safety Measures, Free Masks Provided for Fans Who Attend UFC 261

.@O2industries to provide free face coverings to fans attending #UFC261 and #UFC262 .

More information :https://t.co/mMVO3FyBYg

— UFC News (@UFCNews) April 20, 2021 The Ultimate Fighting Championship is making sure its first event in front of fans since March 2020 will proceed as safely as possible.

UFC 261 will take place at Vystar Veterans Memorial Arena in Jacksonville, Fla., with no audience limitations for the 15,000-seat venue. According to the promotion, tickets for the event sold out in minutes, breaking the record for the highest gross in arena history.

With that comes enhanced COVID-19 protocols for fans who will attend UFC 261. The Las Vegas-based organization has partnered with CLEAR to provide that company’s Health Pass service to fans. According to a release, Health Pass “is a free, mobile experience by CLEAR that securely connects a user’s verified identity to multiple layers of COVID-19-related health information to…

Read more
  • 0

Jessica Andrade Vows to Expose Valentina Shevchenko’s ‘Weak Points’ at UFC 261

Some six months after an impressive debut in the flyweight division where she defeated former No. 1 contender Katlyn Chookagian by TKO in the first round, ex-strawweight queen Jessica Andrade has earned a title shot against Valentina Shevchenko.

Andrade will enter UFC 261 on Saturday as the underdog against the reigning 125-pound champion. The Brazilian has a clear game plan in mind to dethrone Shevchenko.

“Jennifer Maia showed that If you can get a good throw, stabilize and attack with ground-and pound, that is a good way to put her in trouble. I’ll expose Valentina´s weak points,” Andrade told Sherdog.com. “I know exactly how strong I am when I grab my opponents on the cage and raise them from the floor. There is no way out. The interesting point in that fight is that my strong points are her weak points, and the smaller Octagon of [the UFC Apex] will be better for me in that fight.”

Andrade recognizes however that the champion has advantages in the …

Read more
  • 0

Khamzat Chimaev Says He’s Resumed Training After COVID-19 Nearly Ended Career

Khamzat Chimaev is the REAL DEAL

INSANE. #UFCVegas11 pic.twitter.com/kqbhHJYJS3

— UFC Canada (@UFC_CA) September 20, 2020 It appears that Khamzat Chimaev is on the way to making a full recovery.

In an interview with ESPN, the burgeoning welterweight star revealed that he has resumed training and is hoping to return to UFC competition by August. Chimaev hinted at retirement in early March after lingering effects from COVID-19 forced him to pull out of proposed bookings against Leon Edwards on Jan. 20 and March 13.

"If you are sick, you cannot think about [a] fight," Chimaev told ESPN. "I was thinking, 'One month, sick. Then still, two months. When am I going to be finished with this s---?' I'm healthy now, hungry again. I want to get back and smash somebody and make money."

Chimaev was flown to Las Vegas earlier this year to receive treatment from UFC medical staff for his ongoing issues. He revealed in his latest interview th…

Read more
  • 0

Dana White Blames Sean Shelby for Not Preventing Shove That Injured Drakkar Klose

Tonight’s Jeremy Stephens x Drakkar Klose fight has been canceled, per the broadcast.

Klose suffered an injury as a result of this push at yesterday’s official weigh-ins, per sources. Specific injury details not disclosed at this time. pic.twitter.com/ImbpMQxHur

— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) April 17, 2021 Last week, UFC on ESPN 22 lost a fight due to an incident that occurred at weigh-ins.

On Friday, Jeremy Stephens shoved Drakkar Klose during their face-off, which resulted in Klose having to withdraw from the fight. Klose said that he immediately felt his hand go numb and his neck tighten up after the shove, and the next day he suffered from nausea and a migraine. His team revealed that the fighter was diagnosed with a “brain concussion” and “sprain of cervical neck” as a result.

According to Dana White, matchmaker Sean Shelby was to blame for not preventing the weigh-in altercation between Stephens and Klose.

“Sean Shelby …

Read more
  • 0

Le’ville Simpson Head Kick Wins Fury Lightweight Title at Fury FC 45

In an exchange of dueling head kicks, Nico Echeverry landed first, but Le'ville Simpson landed the one that counted, setting up a stunning second-round finish and winning Simpson the Fury Fighting Championship lightweight title.

Fury FC 45, which took place on April 18 at the Bayou Events Center in Houston, Texas, was the second show on Fury's new broadcast agreement with UFC Fight Pass. The main event featured Echeverry in his first defense of the belt, against Simpson, in his second attempt at winning it. The first round was conducted entirely on the feet, characterized by tense striking exchanges as Echeverry switched stances and worked to navigate the taller challenger’s reach. Simpson, perhaps expecting a takedown attempt, used lateral movement, push kicks and his long left jab to maintain distance.

Both men appeared more aggressive to begin the second frame, and 15 seconds into the round the champ threw a hard left high kick that Simpson took on the arm. Simpson…

Read more
  • 0

Marlon Vera Gets Rematch with Davey Grant at UFC Event on June 19

Marlon Vera will square off against Davey Grant at an Ultimate Fighting Championship event on June 19.

MMA DNA was first to report the bantamweight booking. The UFC Fight Night card takes place at an as yet to be announced location and is headlined by a featherweight duel pitting Chan Sung Jung against Dan Ige.

Vera and Grant initially fought in February 2016, with Grant taking a three-round verdict at UFC Fight Night 84.

Vera went 1-2 in three 2020 appearances, sandwiching a TKO win over Sean O’Malley between decision losses against Yadong Song and Jose Aldo. The 28-year-old Team Oyama representative is 10-6 during his promotional tenure and 16-7 as a professional overall.

Grant has been on a roll of late, posting three consecutive victories in the Octagon — including back-to-back knockouts of Martin Day and Jonathan Martinez. “The Ultimate Fighter 18” cast member has competed infrequently since his appearance on the reality show in 2013, compiling a 4-3…

Read more
  • 0

Brandon Girtz, Roger Huerta Among Nine Fighters No Longer on Bellator Roster

Bellator MMA has parted ways with nine fighters, notably Brandon Girtz and Roger Huerta.

In addition to those two, the following athletes are also no longer on the California-based promotion’s roster: Callum Ellenor, Arbi Mezhidov, Frans Mlambo, Paul Redmond, Ryan Roddy, Richie Smullen and Gabriel Varga.

Sherdog.com confirmed the news with a promotion official on Monday following an initial report from MMAjunkie.com. It is unclear whether the aformentioned fighters were released or simply did not have their contracts renewed.

Girtz has been with Bellator since 2012, compiling an 8-8 mark over the course of his promotional tenure. During that time, he went 1-2 in an entertaining trilogy against Derek Campos and also posted wins over the likes of Saad Awad and Melvin Guillard.

Huerta, meanwhile, rose to fame in the UFC and even appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated for his fight with Leonard Garcia in April 2007. “El Matador” went 1-2 during a brief s…

Read more
  • 0

Kelvin Gastelum Releases Statement Following UFC on ESPN 22 Defeat

Kelvin Gastelum is maintaining a positive attitude following his loss to Robert Whittaker in the UFC on ESPN 22 main event this past Saturday.

Gastelum shared “Fight of the Night” honors with his opponent for a bout in which he lost a unanimous decision at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. While Gastelum pressured Whittaker throughout the fight and displayed a sturdy chin, he had no answers for the ex-champion’s versatile offensive arsenal at the end of the night.

“The Ultimate Fighter 17” winner released a statement expressing a desire to still be “one of the best” on social media.

“Getting an onslaught of amazing messages and I’m glad [people] enjoyed the fight,” Gastelum wrote. “Thank you all for sending even the slightest positive gesture and messages.

I still believe I can get the job done and be one of the best! I wouldn’t say that just to say it, I believe it with my heart. I am learning so much from my opponents and I will make the necessary adjustments f…

Read more
  • 0

Court McGee, Claudio Silva to Lock Horns at UFC Fight Night 188 on May 22

Court McGee will square off against Claudio Silva in a welterweight duel at UFC Fight Night 188 on May 22.

AgFight was first to report the booking. UFC Fight Night 188 takes place at an as yet to be announced location and is headlined by a bantamweight showdown pitting Cody Garbrandt against Rob Font.

McGee, 36, has lost five of his last six Octagon appearances dating back to January 2017. Most recently, “The Ultimate Fighter 11” winner dropped a three-round verdict against Carlos Condit at UFC on ESPN 16 this past October.

The 38-year-old Silva began his promotional tenure with five consecutive triumphs before falling to James Krause via unanimous decision at UFC Fight Night 180 on Oct. 17. The loss to Krause was just the second in 16 professional appearances for the London Shootfighters representative.

Read more
  • 0

Billy Quarantillo to Meet Herbert Burns at UFC Fight Night on July 17

Credit: Marcelo Alonso/Sherdog.com Credit: One FC Credit: One FC Credit: One FC Credit: One FC Credit: One FC Credit: Lee Li Credit: Lee Li Credit: Lee Li Credit: Lee Li Credit: Lee Li Credit: Lee Li Credit: Lee Li Credit: Lee Li Credit: Lee Li Credit: Lee Li Credit: Lee Li Credit: Lee Li Credit: Lee Li Credit: Lee Li Credit: Lee Li Credit: James Goyder Credit: James Goyder Credit: James Goyder Credit: One FC Credit: One FC Credit: One FC Credit: One FC Credit: One FC Credit: One FC Credit: One FC Credit: One FC

Billy Quarantillo will lock horns with Herbert Burns in a featherweight tilt at UFC Fight Night on July 17.

Quarantillo announced the pairing via social media. The event does not have an official location or headliner but is expected to include the return of Miesha Tate, as she faces Marion Reneau in a bantamweight matchup.

Quarantillo had an eight-bout professional winning streak halted at UFC 256, where he dropped a unanimous decision to Gavin Tucker. The Da…

Read more
  • 0

Women’s Strawweight Championship Bout Headlines LFA 105 on April 23

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-qHgXGE0Ls&w=560&h=315]

Legacy Fighting Alliance will crown its third-ever female strawweight champion on April 23.

The promotion recently announced that Pierangela Rodriguez Giunta will face Svetlana Gotsyk for 115-pound gold in the main event of LFA 105 at the Grand Event Center in Shawnee, Okla. The card will air on UFC Fight Pass at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT. The LFA strawweight belt became vacant after Lupita Godinez signed with the UFC.

Giunta has kicked off her professional career with five triumphs on the regional circuit in Panama and Spain. She has finished all but one of those victories by knockout or technical knockout.

A native of Ukraine, Gotsyk is a former strawweight title holder with the World Warriors Fighting Championship promotion. Her 13-4 career mark includes a notable TKO defeat to UFC champ Weili Zhang in 2016 and 12 wins inside the distance.

The rest of the LFA 105 main card is as follows: Jake C…

Read more
  • 0

Combate Global Announces Lightweight Tournament to Crown New Champ on April 23

Combate Global will hold a one-night, four-man tournament to crown its inaugural North American lightweight champion on April 23.

The promotion announced the news in a release on Monday. Anthony Avila will face Alejandro Sanchez in one semifinal matchup, while Tommy Aaron will meet Luis Gomez in the other. Additionally, Cristian Perez will lock horns with Geraldo Rosa Almonte in a tournament alternate bout.

If one of the semifinal winners is unable to compete in the final, the winner of the alternate bout will take his place in the championship round.

“One night tournaments have become a part of Combate’s DNA, and we couldn’t think of a better way of crowning a new lightweight champion than making the champ earn the title by beating two opponents in one night,” said Combate Global CEO Campbell McLaren.

The event airs on April 23 at 12:30 ET/PT on Univision and at 12:30 ET/9:30 p.m. PT on TUDN USA from Univision’s studios in Miami, Florida. Two other bouts …

Read more
  • 0