Francis Ngannou Confirms Discussions for Potential MMA Bout vs. Deontay Wilder

Options abound for Francis Ngannou following his near miss against Tyson Fury over the weekend.

Advertisement

During a Monday appearance on "The MMA Hour," Ngannou discussed some of the possibilities that he could pursue after falling to Fury via split decision this past Saturday in Saudia Arabia. Perhaps the most intriguing of those is a mixed martial arts bout against boxing heavyweight Deontay Wilder, a former WBC champion who went 0-2-1 against Fury. The former UFC champion confirmed that there have been talks regarding such a fight against Wilder.

“I think that’s a good idea,” Ngannou said. “In fact, we have spoken about that. That has been in the discussions. So that’s something that can potentially happen. Nothing is set, but it’s been something been coming to my attention, so that’s something that makes sense. He’s really serious about MMA. …

“It’s going to be a different beast for him. Unlike this time that I was the one experiencing the mountain,…

Read more
  • 0

Tyson Fury Felt ‘Timing Was Quite Off’ in Narrow Victory Over Francis Ngannou

Tyson Fury disputes the notion that he didn’t take Francis Ngannou seriously heading into their fight this past Saturday.

The former UFC champion surprised the boxing world when he pushed Fury to the limit in losing a 10-round split decision in Riyadh, Saudia Arabia. It was Ngannou’s debut in the Sweet Science, while Fury is regarded as the best heavyweight boxer in the world.

Advertisement

“Listen, usually when you get the media saying it’s a mismatch, it’s not worth watching and all that, usually you’re in for a tough night,” Fury recently told Boxing King Media. “If I wasn’t training as hard as I did, I probably wouldn’t have gotten through that fight.”

It was Fury’s first professional appearance since December 2022, and he believes that might have affected his performance.

“I felt my timing was quite off,” Fury said. “I’ve been out of the ring for nearly a year – a little bit of ring rust, but it was what it was. It was far from one of my best performance…
Read more
  • 0

Coach: Sean Strickland Open to Future Move to Boxing After Ngannou vs. Fury

Coach Eric Nicksick believes Francis Ngannou broke the proverbial four-minute mile barrier for MMA fighters with his showing against Tyson Fury on Saturday in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

Advertisement

Ngannou dropped the WBC heavyweight champ in Round 3 before taking him to a tightly-contested split decision. While Ngannou came up on the short side of the controversial split decision, “The Predator” was definitely the biggest winner of the night, being hailed as the new lineal heavyweight champ by fans and pundits alike.

Nicksick believes the former UFC heavyweight champ’s performance has set a new benchmark for MMA fighters looking to venture into pugilism. For Nicksick, it was the second shocking performance from one of his pupils in recent times after Sean Strickland’s massive upset win over Israel Adesanya at UFC 293 last month.

In the immediate aftermath of Ngannou’s clash on Saturday, Nicksick contacted Strickland with the proposal of a potential move to b…

Read more
  • 0

Dricus du Plessis: Khamzat Chimaev Loses to Sean Strickland ‘Every Day of the Week’

[embedded content]

Dricus Du Plessis doesn't sound keen on losing his place in the queue of middleweight title challengers, but he isn’t too worried, either.

In an Oct. 26 interview on Fox West Texas, the Ultimate Fighting Championship 185-pound standout discussed Khamzat Chimaev’s showing against Kamaru Usman at UFC 294. Chimaev (13-0) dominated former welterweight champ Usman in the opening frame, earning 10-8 scores from all three official judges, but significantly lessened his output in the later rounds, fearing he had broken his right hand. “Borz” walked away with a closely contested majority decision and what was subsequently reported to be torn hand ligament.

Du Plessis was a particularly interested observer of that fight, since UFC CEO Dana White had indicated that the winner would get the next shot at middleweight champ Sean Strickland, who dethroned Israel Adesanya last month at UFC 293. Strickland’s upset win over Adesanya was especially shocking b…

Read more
  • 0

Sean Strickland Addresses Fighter Pay, Advises Against MMA Career

UFC middleweight champ Sean Strickland wouldn’t advise anyone to take up fighting as a career.

Advertisement

Strickland, who is in known to speak his mind without hesitation on a variety of uncomfortable topics, recently touched upon the controversial topic of UFC fighter pay. Strickland joined UFC Hall of Famer Don Frye and “Extra Rounds” host T.J. DeSantis on a live broadcast for Professional Bull Riders (PBR), which is owned by the UFC parent company Endeavor.

Strickland started by asking Frye about the UFC fighter pay during his time, which was revealed to be $50,000 for tourney winners and $500 for everyone else. The middleweight champ then went on a long rant explaining why he advised a parent against letting his son take up fighting professionally.

“I was like, ‘You see the Contender [Series fighters], what do you think they make?’ And he goes, ‘I don’t know.’ I go, ‘They make [$5,000] and [$5,000]. If they lose, they make [$5,000].’ And he goes, ‘D…

Read more
  • 0

Khamzat Chimaev Suffered Torn Ligament in Hand at UFC 294, Hopes to Avoid Surgery

As it turns out, Khamzat Chimaev did not break his hand at UFC 294.

Advertisement

Chimaev’s manager, Majdi Shammas, told ESPN that the middleweight suffered a torn ligament in his victory over Kamaru Usman on Oct. 21 in Abu Dhabi. As a result, Chimaev will wear a brace on his hand for the next four weeks but is hoping to avoid surgery.

Chimaev defeated Usman via majority decision in the UFC 294 co-main event, a victory that will presumably give him a shot to face reigning middleweight champion Sean Strickland at a later date. After the victory, “Borz” revealed that he injured his hand in the opening stanza against Usman. At the time, Chimaev thought it was broken.

"First round, I think I broke my hand and finger," Chimaev said after the bout. "I couldn't punch hard with right hand. My right hand is a big weapon. When you can't use it, it's hard to work.”

Shortly after Chimaev’s victory, Strickland said that he felt that the Chechen-born Swede ”doe…

Read more
  • 0

Francis Ngannou Still Plans to Compete in Boxing, MMA Going Forward

By pushing Tyson Fury to the limit, Francis Ngannou may have opened the door to a whole new world on Saturday night.

While Ngannou lost a split decision to the man regarded as the best heavyweight on the planet, many observers believed “The Predator” deserved to get the nod on the scorecards. With that in mind, Ngannou would seemingly have plenty of options for future fights in the Sweet Science, where paydays often exceed those offered in mixed martial arts. For now at least, Ngannou still plans on being a double-threat in combat sports.

Advertisement

“I can do both. Nothing can stop me from doing both,” Ngannou said in a post-fight interview with ESPN. “If I have the skill for both of them, why not? As for right now, I have a deal with PFL, and I’m intending to fight MMA again. I still love it. I might do some MMA fight, but I’m still going to do boxing. I never intend to just step over and do one fight and go out. That wasn’t the plan at all, never. The plan is …
Read more
  • 0

Ngannou Believes He Beat Fury, But Didn’t Expect to Win Decision in Boxing Debut

Francis Ngannou is well aware of how these things work.

While the former UFC heavyweight champion did everything in his power to outduel Tyson Fury in his professional boxing debut on Saturday in Saudia Arabia, he knew that if the fight went the distance, the scorecards weren’t likely going to be in his favor. That proved to be the case, as Fury emerged with a hard-fought split decision their non-title bout.

Advertisement

However, Ngannou says Fury knows who really won that fight.

“If he was being honest, he would say I won that fight,” Ngannou said in a post-fight interview with ESPN. “I won that fight. There’s no question about it.

“Even before getting here, I knew if this fight gets to a decision, I’m not winning – not because I didn’t do good, (but) because I’m the new guy in the house. I come here and I just want to kick into people’s business. There’s a structure of business out there and you need to do a lot to destroy it. I wasn’t just expecting to wi…
Read more
  • 0

Conor McGregor Submits First Testing Sample Since 2021, Targets Return in April

[embedded content]

All the gears finally seem to be shifting in the right direction for Conor McGregor’s return to action.

Advertisement

The Ultimate Fighting Championship’s biggest superstar has been inactive since July 2021, rehabbing a broken leg sustained in his trilogy clash against Dustin Poirier. The Irishman was also absent from the United States Anti-Doping Agency testing pool since the third quarter of 2021 until recently.

After months of back and forth with the USADA over a six-month testing window stipulation, McGregor (22-6) finally re-entered the testing pool on Oct. 8, which makes him eligible to compete in April 2024. The Dublin native has also now submitted his first test samples as per online records. Both blood and urine were seemingly collected, as there were a total of three samples taken, although the date of collection wasn’t specified.

McGregor re-entering the pool was soon followed by the news that the UFC-USADA partnership would conc…
Read more
  • 0

Stipe Miocic Says He Wasn’t Given Option to Remain on UFC 295 Card

Stipe Miocic claims he wasn’t offered an alternative fight when scheduled opponent Jon Jones pulled out of UFC 295.

Advertisement

Jones (27-1) was slated to defend his heavyweight title against Miocic (20-4) in the main event at UFC 295 on Nov. 11 at Madison Square Garden. However, “Bones” was forced out of the card after sustaining a pectoral muscle tear during a grappling session hardly two weeks away from fight night.

An interim heavyweight title matchup between Tom Aspinall and Sergei Pavlovich has been added to the card as the co-main event. Meanwhile, the original co-main, a light heavyweight title clash between Jiri Prochazka and Alex Pereira, has been bumped up to the main-event slot.

While Jones was forced out of the card due to an injury, Miocic saw himself removed due to no fault of his own. The former UFC heavyweight champ, who hasn’t fought since losing his strap to Francis Ngannou in March 2021, was expectedly disheartened upon hearing the ne…

Read more
  • 0

Alessandro Costa To Replace Matt Schnell Against Steve Erceg at UFC 295

The UFC 295 lineup has undergone yet another change with two weeks to go before fight night.

Advertisement

Ultimate Fighting Championship flyweight veteran Matt Schnell (16-7) had been scheduled to take on the surging Steve Erceg (10-1) on Nov. 11 at Madison Square Garden. However, “Danger” will no longer be competing on the card due to undisclosed reasons and has been replaced by Brazilian prospect Alessandro Costa (13-3). The change in booking was first reported by Carlos Contreras Legaspi of ESPN Deportes on Saturday.

Schnell hasn’t fought since last December when he suffered a second-round knockout loss against Matheus Nicolau at UFC on ESPN 42. The Louisiana native has won only two of his last six, though all the losses have come against elite competition. Meanwhile, Erceg made his promotional debut in June on the back of an eight-fight winning streak, which the Australian extended to nine with a unanimous decision win over David Dvorak.

Erceg’s new …

Read more
  • 0

LeBron James, Nate Diaz Among Those Unhappy with Fury-Ngannou Decision

LeBron James was among a long list of athletes who believe Francis Ngannou was robbed of a decision win against Tyson Fury in their boxing match on Saturday night.

Ngannou was a +800 underdog going into his pro boxing debut against the WBC heavyweight champion in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The former UFC heavyweight champ put on a spectacular performance, knocking Fury down in the third round of an otherwise evenly-contested battle. “The Predator” eventually came up on the short side of a split decision, which many believe should have gone the other way.

Advertisement

James, among others, was unhappy with the outcome of the fight and voiced his displeasure on social media.

Exactly why i don't watch boxing! C'mon man! 🤦🏾‍♂️

— LeBron James (@KingJames) October 28, 2023 Former UFC superstar Nate Diaz also minced no words while weighing in on the outcome of the fight.

Tyson Fury lost and the boxing commentary biased af dumb…

Read more
  • 0